Friday, October 23, 2009

Spiders Alive!!!!

We had just finished hanging up a giant cobweb & spider decorations outside the other day as Marley was pushing her new trike around. I look down at Marley's feet & get a big shock! I thought Kevin was trying to play a joke on me by putting a spider next to Marley's feet, but instantly I realized this was no joke! I quickly grabbed Marley (thankfully, Marley didn't step on the spider or have the spider jump on her!) This is what we found:
A Aphonopelma Iodius or a TARANTULA!

I ran inside the house to grab the camera & a quarter (we used the end of the broom handle to get the quarter close to the spider...there was NO WAY we were going to get close to that thing!) Kevin trapped it in a container & showed it to our neighbor (who's lived here for 40 years). Our neighbor said he had never seen a spider like that before. We thought it might be someone's pet that had wandered away. Apparently, these types of spiders are found in Nevada, Utah, & California...who knew? And their bite is supposed to be like a bee sting! Yikes! Kevin let it go...a few blocks from our house!

No comments: