Saturday, October 5, 2013

Clean Up, Clean Up...

When my dad was alive, my parents 3-car garage was a dumping ground for everything.  My dad was pretty close to being a hoarder.  He kept everything and had every excuse in the book for why it was important to keep a particular item, junk or not. My siblings and I got together one Saturday (after Alece had ordered some large garbage bins) and attempted to clean out the garage.  I sometimes wonder if my mom has taken on my dad's tendencies as well. According to Jono, when Jono was attempting to throw away a blanket covered in mouse feces, my mom suggested that maybe they better keep it...hmmm, probably not!!  After that, we tried to keep mom out of the garage and watching Hendrix.  As we started to go through things, I couldn't believe what my dad kept.  Old floppy disks of word perfect and dos start ups, HUNDREDS of nails and screws, old computers, monitor screen, VCRs, out-dated magazines, expired cleaning supplies, a portable toilet (because apparently my dad thought when times were hard and electricity and plumbing were out, he would use that portable toilet...) and the list goes on.  We worked for hours and really only made small progress.  If you looked at the garage after we worked on it (not knowing we worked on it) you would think, that garage really needs to be cleaned out.  The amount of stuff and useless junk was incredible!  I did however find some  little gems.


 Like this felt calendar with our family faces screen-printed on it...yes, what a happy, dapper looking clan.

 Seth wielding a wooden knife he carved when he was younger...
 Using that wooden dagger against Alece...


 Seth harnessing dagger power...

 Then these sack puzzles Seth made when he was little.  I could not stop laughing! Even now, looking at them, makes me laugh because A) Seth was creative enough to come up with this craft and B) that my mom still had them!!!



No comments: